Many factors go into choosing a qualified builder or renovator:
- Research the number of years experience and the type of projects your prospective builder/renovator has completed.
- Get a list of references and make sure you check them out. Homeowners are generally very honest about their home building/renovation projects.
- Good communication is essential.
- Don’t accept that a detailed quote is not the norm. A reputable builder/renovator won’t mind showing you the details that determine the overall cost of the project.
- Make sure the builder is properly insured. Are all workers covered by Worker’s Compensation?
- Is the builder/renovator covered by a Warranty program?
- Check out the current project sites if possible. Are they clean and secure?
- Check out your builder/renovator with others in the business ie building inspectors, sub-contractors, etc.